Initial stages of setting up a blog is a tiresome work. Here is the ultimate guide for a beginner. From registering a name, way of getting readers, tracking them and communicating with them.
You started the blog!. Yes, you are ready to publish some post. What is the next step?. Just writing your great thoughts and tips. No.. Actually yes, that is the final intention. But before doing this, we need to setup the blog for readers.
What does that mean?
Your blog is one of million blogs in Internet. Reader has to find it and reach it in your blog. Readers cannot find your blog unless you provide some ways to reach you.
- Beautify your blog
Find a perfect theme for your blog. When a reader is coming to your blog and if they find your appearance is not good, they won’t stay here. Take an example of dirty city and compare with a clean city, the perfect example ;-). If you like BloggerHow’s theme, get this template (It’s free). A lot of themes are available in Internet. Find a perfect one to suite your content.
How to select a theme?
- Simplicity – not a bulky looking theme
- Typography – Easy to read fonts
- Search engine optimized
- Mobile/tablet optimizations
- Loading time of the template
Create 404 page for your blog. Understand the basics of search engine optimization and features of your blogger blog.
Registering your blog at Google Webmasters allows you claim the ownership, checking for search engines visibility, track errors in your blog and many more. Registering on Google Analytics will allow you to track your visitors. It can track the visitors by regions, language, technologies(browsers, OS etc.) etc. It will help you to optimize your posts according to the visitors.
Tell your friends about the blog, they will be your first promoters. Create account in popular social websites like Facebook, twitter, Google+ and LinkedIn. Subscribe to services which will post automatically your posts to these sites. An example is Twitterfeed.
Find blogs which are discussing same niche of you and participate in the healthy discussions. Comment on their blogs(not spammy comments, that’s healthy). Other readers will eventually identify you in the future.
Subscribe to Feedburner and burn your feed. Offer it as both email and Feeds. By using Feedburner you can track your subscribers and email list.
- Register a domain name for your blog.(not free)
- Get an email address in your domain name (free, if you have a domain name). It is good to have a mail address in your domain, it gives credibility and respect.
- Verify your email as an author in Google plus
- Register in blog popularity tracker websites like alexa and technorati. This will help to compare performances of your blog with similar topic blogs.
- Check your Blog speed and optimize the loading using Google page speed.
- Optimize and compress images used in blogs.
Share this article